Saturday 21 September 2013

Shoes speak louder than words

The fashion in South Carolina has come as a bit of a shock to my high-street filled suitcase and I keep on getting the dress code wrong time and time again. Although I’m no Carrie Bradshaw or Vogue journalist, like most other girls on this planet, I like to shop, a lot! I’m the kind of girl who will always be complaining about having a wardrobe full of clothes but nothing to wear! Though I don’t tend to count shopping as cardio I think I’m already starting to get Topshop withdrawal symptoms, and my nearest one is over a ten hour drive away in New York. Help me!

I’m no fashionista but I know my basics when it comes to clothes and accessories; avoid double denim, orange is a hideous colour (and also the colour of our rival University – Clemson!), navy blue and black is never a good idea and whoever said that money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to go shopping….

So here is my guide to the top ten fashion crimes that guys and girls commit every day on the USC campus:

   1) ‘Norts’ – Also known as loose fitting nike shorts. Apparently you aren’t a true Carolina girl if you don’t own a pair. Available in every luminous colour you can dream of these would be fab for the gym or working out but no, deceptively, these are the most stylish item in a girls' wardrobe and everyone lives in them.         
   2) The baggy t-shirt look – To go alongside with the ‘norts’ oversized t-shirts are left, right and centre. Forget a fitted shirt or anything that actually makes you look like you have a waist. In the South when girls do casual they mean dress for class as if you’re having a hung-over day lazing on the sofa.
   3) Jack Rodgers – Two words immediately come to mind when I think of these sandals: hideous and expensive. These uncomfortable looking sandals cost $110 and are the must have item of every Sorority girls ‘closet’. If they were a little prettier maybe I could understand, but spending that much money on a pair of flip flops when everyone else already owns a pair just cries boring to me!



    4)  Cowboy boots – I’m not going to lie, I do love a good pair of cowboy boots, but there is a time and a place. Dressing up like a cowgirl? Perfect! Pretending you’re in Footloose? Great! Wearing them to class with denim shorts that seem to be missing half the material? Trashy! Come on girls, if they’re not for a fancy dress event, I don’t think they’re very acceptable.
   5)  Flat caps and visors – When I was younger my parents went to all sorts of trouble to make me wear a sun hat in the hot summer months, but here it’s like a second skin. Flat cap central! Both boys and girls wear them (even in class may I add!) and apparently it’s ‘cool’.
   6)  ‘Fratire’ – By this term I mean what the Fraternity boys wear. You can tell them apart just from looking at them. Boat shoes, Polo Ralph Lauren shirts, khaki ‘pants’ accessorised with a pair of Ray Bans or Oakleys. Easy to spot? I think so!
   7)  Chubbies shorts– This is the ultimate Fraternity clothing brand. Described on the website as ‘Comfortable, flexible, aerodynamic and most of all utterly Radical, Chubbies are everything a short should be and more’. Apparently your thighs will thank you?



   8)  Sunglasses Neck Strap – The only time I have ever seen anyone wear a sunglasses neck strap at home has been my Dad when he’s out sailing. So first of all, if my Dad uses them, they’re probably not the most fashionable thing to be seen wearing, and secondly, he uses them for sport so his sunglasses don’t fall off into the water, not just for everyday use! I just don’t get it! The boys here all have them, but why? In case a huge gust of wind comes along and blows them off your face? We humans do have noses you know….
   9)  Backpacks – I used a rucksack throughout Secondary school but since turning 16 the only time I’ve found a use for one has been for my Swim Kit. Walking between classes I seem to be floating amongst hundreds of backpacks, and there I am with my DKNY handbag looking a little out of place. At school having a rucksack was something you could be picked on for, but the tables are turned here, rucksacks are in and handbags out.
  10) Cocks merchandise – If you haven’t gathered by now, the USC mascot is a Cockerel, fittingly named ‘Cocky’ and our athletics teams are called the ‘Gamecocks’. This invites everyone to splash out on tshirts with the word ‘COCKS’ in large bold letters to show how proud they are to be a Gamecock. I still can’t help but slightly cringe every time I see someone repping one of these, it may be the standard thing to do here but I definitely could not get away with wearing anything like that at home.


There you have it, my attempt at being a college fashionista. As you can imagine, I stick out like a saw thumb in my high waisted denim shorts, floaty skirts, chiffon blouses and flowery dresses. But, at least for now, I’m going to stick with Topshop and refuse to conform!

No comments:

Post a Comment