Wednesday 4 September 2013

Classroom Etiquette

Although the classes here are not taught in Spanish or French they are very different to what I’ve been used to throughout my school and University years. You don’t have to wait outside a classroom for the teacher to magically appear; you just stroll right in and take a pick at whichever seat you fancy. The classrooms even look different, at the University of Kent the seminar rooms are set out to encourage intelligent discussion between students, usually the rooms are laid out in a horseshoe shape so that you can see everyone else in your class. But here, they’re more like exam rooms. Individual chairs dotted around the room with individual desks attached to them. Anyone who knows me well would have understood my fear when walking into a room that screams ‘exam’!

Talking of exams, they like to test you here, a lot! I guess it’s a way of checking that you’re keeping up with the reading but on my second day of class I was shocked to be handed a piece of paper with numerous questions about the novel we were reading, only to hear the Professor shout ‘You have five minutes to complete this paper, starting NOW!’ It definitely served as a strong reminder that I’m not just here to have fun but also study, hard!

I’m taking four different classes this term; three English and one Theatre. As a joint honours humanities student I’ve always been given a lot of reading, but heck, I basically have a novel to read every week for each English class. When do people have time to have fun or go to the gym here when their heads are constantly stuck in a book? That said, all my classes are very interesting and the Professors are all great – super friendly and have a genuine interest in getting to know you. Not sure I could say the same for every teacher that has taught me at home!

The Theatre class I’m taking this term is ‘Film and Television Acting’ and whilst I’ve taken numerous Acting classes before and the mention of Stanislavski makes my head hurt, I’ve never had the opportunity to learn the trade with a massive camera stuck in your face. So far I’ve learnt it’s very different to being on the Stage, out with the massive persona, projected voice and over the top actions and in with the subtle glances and truthful responses, instead of that of some imagined character. I keep on hearing Alick’s voice, the director from the production RENT, saying ‘act bigger’ in the back of my head. But now it’s time to flick the switch and try my luck learning a different skill.

Although the classes here do remind me a little bit of high school, receiving ‘homework’ every lesson and less independent study, so far every class I’ve had has made me smile and taught me something new, and in my eyes, it doesn’t get much better than that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment