Tuesday 17 September 2013

It's a Greek kinda life

The whole Greek system here fascinates me.  I’ve previously written a post on the madness that was Sorority Bid day but I can’t just stop at that. So expect to see at least a few more posts on Frat and Sorority life here in Columbia.

The big question I have is ‘why’?

Why do so many girls and guys put themselves through recruitment to join, what seems to me, elite sister and brotherhood? Don’t these people already have real brothers or sisters? Unless you’re an only child, I think it would be weird to refer to anyone but my family as my sisters or brothers. I guess that’s the point. Being a part of these groups is like having a second family. But with that said I will bet 100 bucks that at least one person decided to go through recruitment just because their childhood friends were going to sign up too. That’s right – followers. Nothing but sheep. They couldn’t possibly be left out. But surely there’s a very realistic chance that you wouldn’t even be placed in the same Sorority as your friends. So why? So you don’t have to put yourself out there in Fresher’s week and actually make friends with people who have the same interests as you because you’d already have this ready-made clique of friends? I don’t know if I’m missing the point and I’m only seeing them on a face-value kind of way. Never judge a book by it’s cover ehh? Well first impressions can be very influential. Apart from the ‘Legally Blonde’ movie I didn’t have any idea what Sorority life was like, my first impressions were that these girls only ever dress in over sized t-shirts with different phrases written all over them and thought that because they were Sorority girls they automatically had a right to date any Fraternity boy they took a fancy to.

I desperately wanted to be proved wrong. I wanted someone to explain to me that above all these shallow reasons there was some deeper meaning.  I’ve heard all the hype around Sororities and that all they’re renowned for is partying and nasty hazing initiations. But deep down I know that isn’t true. Otherwise the grades you get in high school wouldn’t mean a thing. It would be like needing a C in your A Level’s to get into Oxford. To get into a Sorority you have to be high flying academically (as well as socially) and the support systems within Sororities are huge. I know because I’ve witnessed it.

The only way I was going to battle stereotypes was to see these girls beyond skin deep and actually have a sneak into their lives. Luckily for me, I have met one of the friendliest and down to earth Sorority girls here at USC and she invited me to attend her ADPi welcome bbq.

Walking through Greek Village my eyes felt like they were growing larger and larger with every house I passed. Mansions with tall white columns and stone lions, fitted with Southern rocking chairs on the porches in front of large green lawns. ‘What is this place?’ I thought. Students in the UK seem to live in squalor with mould growing on the wall and heating that never works compared to this life of luxury. The ADPi house was beautiful. I think I was walking around with my jaw dragging along behind me. I couldn’t get over the fact that students actually got to live here. Home to 35 girls this mansion included an industrial sized kitchen and dining area, a formal library, a plush TV room, further study rooms, and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. More like the back stage dressing room of a famous actress fit for a princess than for supposedly skint students. They have their very own chefs and even a ‘house mom’ who watches over the girls. I’m not sure you could get much further from student accommodation in England!

So now I’m even more confused about this whole Greek system. Pretty girls, who wear oversized t- shirts, are always smiling and laughing, never seen without a backpack on their back, always willing to lend a hand, raise money for the disadvantaged, maintain 100% in every class, probably apart of some sports team or extra-curricular group on campus AND they get to live in a mansion! Where am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment