Friday 13 September 2013

‘A-ca-scuse me? Synchronised lady dancing to a Mariah Carey chart-topper is not lame!’

‘We sing covers of songs, but we do it without any instruments. It's all from our mouths!’

For those of you who have seen the American all-singing hit film ‘Pitch Perfect’, which was released last year, you will have a clear insight as to what I’ve been up to over the past week. For those who haven’t yet watched this funny take on ‘Bring it On’ where the cheerleaders have been swapped for a cappella singers, you’re missing out.

Just like in the film, last week USC held a student organisation fair (very similar to every fresher’s fair that takes place at the beginning of the academic year in the UK) where you could sign up to everything from the Feminist Society to the Sky Diving Club. Obviously I signed up to the ‘Gamecock Swimming Club’ but something way more interesting caught my eye; organised nerd singing! That’s right everyone, a cappella groups here are huge. There are three different groups on campus; the mixed group called ‘Cockappella’, the all-boys group named ‘The Carolina Gentlemen’ and the all-girls group called ‘The Cocktails’. The thought of being a part of a real American a cappella group made me very excited, so I rushed to sign up for auditions, only to be greeted by South Carolina’s very own Anna Camp informing me of the rigorous audition process required to actually get in, including; sight reading, pitch matching, blending exercises and numerous solos. Yikes! With the mention of sight reading I felt like I had taken a step back to over three and half years ago when I took my ABRSM Grade 8 Singing exam. But I was determined to at least give it a try.
 
Since my first solo in Primary school dressed up as a Pyramid in a show about Egyptians I have loved singing and performing. I went on to take all my singing grades throughout Secondary school, performing in the school choir and tons of music concerts. There’s something about standing under a stage light in front of a huge audience which gives me such a buzz! I’ve performed in musicals ranging from ‘Guys and Dolls’ to ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ and most recently ‘RENT’. So this a cappella thing should be easy enough right? Wrong! This is America. Everyone here is an upcoming singer or a musician.

My first audition was for the ‘Cockappella’s’ and I thought it went relatively well. I didn’t choke on my song, I was friendly and hoped that being British would make me stand out. However, no such luck. With over eighty students auditioning for five places I didn’t even get to the second round. I took this with a pinch of salt and came to the conclusion that as a mixed group they were probably looking for more boys to balance out all the girls they already had. I still had my audition for the female group ‘The Cocktails’, so hope was not lost yet. I first saw ‘The Cocktails’ perform at the new student convocation ceremony and knew that I wanted to be a part of this student-founded, student-organised and student-led group of dedicated musicians. At the interest meeting I was presented with fourteen pristine looking sorority girls who sang ‘Titanium’, I couldn’t quite work out whether these girls were super intimidating and it was basically a popularity contest to get in or whether I actually stood a chance. My audition went surprisingly well, I sang ‘I wish I was a punk rocker’ by Sandi Thom (thanks to some advice from my musical twin Cara McPherson) and I managed to get a call-back. Obviously my reaction was ‘A-ca-scuse me? A-ca-believe it!’ Out of the eighty plus girls who auditioned I was one of fifteen to be asked to come back! We were sent sheet music to read and I was asked to learn the Soprano part to Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’, along with all sorts of other exercises used to test us. But sadly I didn’t quite make the cut. I guess I’ll put it down to nerves, my solo didn’t go well and the sight reading was horrific! So while I’m pleased they liked me enough to ask me back for a second audition, I am a little disappointed. I suppose I’m just not enough like Brittany Snow!

Here’s what I’m missing out on……

No comments:

Post a Comment