Saturday 24 August 2013

‘I could listen to you talk all day long’

Being British here is like being the owner of a golden ticket to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Having an accent immediately gets you noticed and gets you in. Random people stop me on campus to ask me where I’m from because they ‘love’ my accent and some even seem genuinely shocked that I would come all the way to South Carolina. A few people have asked me why? Why South Carolina? Why study in America at all? And I guess the answer is why not! If it isn’t because of the amazing sports facilities and interesting Literature classes on a history that still feels very recent here, it’s because I want to understand another culture and learn about a completely different way of living.

Before I came to America I had preconceived ideas about what it would be like and how it couldn’t be too different from home. They speak the same language so how hard could it be? But after only a week I’m beginning to realise that I’ve got a lot to learn. There are so many rules here. I find myself surrounded by students who are old enough to drive around in monstrous vehicles, looking somewhat out of place sitting behind the wheel of a huge hummer truck, they can buy guns or get married, but when it comes to alcohol, they are strictly forbidden. It is the strangest thing. We are not allowed to have any alcohol in the shared fridges of our apartment or even have anything which suggests drinking activity. No shot glasses or empty beer bottles are to be displayed. Thank god I’m 21!

With all these strict rules and regulations it seems that house parties, along with beer pong and red cups, are the answer to everyone’s worries. But even at house parties I can’t seem to get away from Americans (mainly boys) smothering me with hilarious one liners that just make me cringe! ‘Oh my God you’re English, this is amazing, I love your accent’ or ‘You’re from England? I have a friend in France!’ I’m starting to feel very much like a novelty act which will wear off as soon as they realise the only reason they’re talking to me is because I sound so different. Last night, at a Jew Frat party (apparently they throw the best parties because they have so much money!) one guy warned his friend not to talk to me, I quote: ‘Dude don’t speak to her for more than five seconds, you may have to change your pants!’

With that said, I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of Southern hospitality here. Boys go out their way to hold doors open for you, and politely refer to you as Miss or Ma'am. The locals here are incredibly friendly, everyone asks me how I am or how my day is going. Students and Teachers alike walk around campus with huge smiles plastered on their faces ready to lend a hand whenever needed. I can’t imagine sitting on the tube in London with a carriage full of smiling commuters, giving up seats and asking how my day has been! 

No comments:

Post a Comment