Friday 1 November 2013

Halloween the ‘Mean Girls’ way


‘Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.’

However, I beg to differ. Halloween = scary. Halloween = zombies, witches, black cats, skeletons, vampires, devils and corpse brides. But in America, Halloween costumes don’t necessarily need to have a scare factor, you can simply be a school girl without being a walking-dead school girl covered in fake blood, in fact you might as well be a slutty school girl, because let’s face it, no one really cares. The less you wear the better! Whilst the days of ‘trick or treating’ are just fond memories from my childhood, pumpkin carving and dressing up to the nines are still all the rage. This past week I’ve been to two Halloween parties, and I must admit I did submit to cat ears and whiskers, but mainly because I didn’t want to spend $50 on a slut costume and I already have a wardrobe full of black clothing, so Cat Woman seemed like an easy and cheap choice! I also wasn’t feeling quite as daring as Lindsay Lohan is in ‘Mean Girls’ and decided dressing up like a corpse bride wasn’t really my thing and I didn’t want to have people continually asking me ‘Why are you dressed so scary?’

There were plenty of girls who wanted to dress like Regina, Gretchen and Karen though…. One girl was dressed up as ‘Buzz lightyear’ from Toystory, but instead of going to infinity and beyond and wearing an astronaut bodysuit with wings, she simply wore miniature white hotpants and a crop top/bra with a Buzz lightyear logo showing off her tiny tummy and leaving very little to the imagination. Halloween is a chance for ‘normal’ girls to push their assets up to their chin and fully embrace their slutty doppelganger for a night of alcohol induced madness. At home, one very practical reason for abstaining from ‘Slaggy Halloween’ is the simple fact that it’s too cold! But with South Carolina’s mild temperatures, wearing only the vital necessities of bra and knickers allows girls to get away with pretty much anything without anyone batting an eye-lid! Don’t get me wrong, I love fancy dress! I just liked Halloween when playing pranks, lighting bonfires, telling ghost stories, eating too much chocolate and scarring ourselves with the weegie board was also an acceptable way of celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment