Sunday 10 November 2013

Daddy's Girl


Last weekend my Dad visited Columbia for a few days after a business trip to the States. Naturally, I took him to the many exciting sites that Columbia has to offer, including; The State House, the Congaree River Walk and the infamous William Brice Football Stadium.

Fresh from the land where chips are crisps and gym memberships cost up to a months rent, I was excited to see his reaction to campus life in America. Of course he thought the food was amazing as stuffed croissants, waffles covered in maple syrup and whipped cream, burgers the size of Frisbees’, Charbroiled Ribeye steaks, and French fries were on the menu all weekend long. Watching him was like pressing re-wind on life’s remote control as I got to see his jaw drop and eyes widen at all the same things that seemed strange and exciting to me when I first arrived.

For the Homecoming game against Mississippi State I bought two tickets in the lower deck section so that my Dad could get a real feel for College Football. Decked out in a garnet USC t-shirt with a Bloody Mary before midday, Dad was ready to embrace the wall of noise which exudes from the Stadium. With weather matching that of a beautiful mid-summer’s day back at home, I couldn’t quite believe that we are now in November! Both of us caught the sun, and I can safely say that it’s the first time I’ve been sunburnt in ‘Winter’. But I’m not complaining! These warmer climates are definitely welcomed!

Having my Dad visit made me realise how lucky I am to get the opportunity to study abroad. The school spirit here never fails to amaze me. I have met some incredible, interesting and diverse people in the past three months, and I’ve made friendships which will last a lifetime. Time is doing a really weird thing where it feels like I’ve been here forever but at the same time it’s going really quickly. Soon enough it will be Christmas and I’ll have to start thinking about plans for when I return to London in the summer! My alter ego is screaming 'please not adult life yet!'

Overall, it was a short but much needed visit, and having a piece of home has definitely helped me get over the mid-term blues. Southern hospitality was out in full force over the weekend, while I’m still not used to being addressed as ‘Ma’am’, Dad certainly enjoyed being referred to as ‘Sir’. The people really are as sweet as the tea… well, at least most of them are… One exception to the rule was some rude guy in his SUV imagining he was ‘King of the Vista’. After the Football game, I wanted to take my Dad out to the Blue Marlin restaurant in town for dinner, but as it was the weekend parking spots were scarce. After driving around the block a couple of times, I saw a parked car put on its reversing lights and told Dad to indicate for the space. But low and behold, some absolute douche of a guy in a massive 4x4 comes up parallel to our car, rolls down his window and proceeds to talk at my Dad telling him that the space is his. I would continue by listing the stream of bad-mouth words that came to mind, but I’m not sure my blog is the most appropriate place to do so. Anyway, classy as ever, my Dad told the boy to ‘show some American hospitality’ and swiftly reversed straight into the space that we had previously been indicating for. Well you know what they say about guys who drive massive trucks, they do it for an ego boost, the bigger the truck the smaller the…

No comments:

Post a Comment