Wednesday 23 October 2013

Old Kentucky Home



You know you’re road tripping in America when the satnav says ‘continue on interstate for the next 200 miles’……

Last week was fall-break, which means two things; first, I have made it alive to the half-way mark of my first semester at USC and second, that I got to go cross country to the ‘Bluegrass State’ aka ‘my old Kentucky home’.  Known for its thoroughbred horses, horse racing, tobacco and college basketball, I was fortunate enough to be invited to stay with my American self; Lindsey. After the 7 and ½ drive from Columbia I was happy that she didn’t want to throttle me after putting up with my chatterbox mouth and karaoke singing for 500 miles. But we made it, eventually, and spent the long weekend gorging ourselves on home-made cooking and copious amounts of REESE'S Mini Peanut Butter Cups. Yum! There are so many details I could bore you all with, so instead of telling you an intricate hourly account of everything we got up to, I’ll pick some of my favourite moments.

Before I came on my year abroad, I knew that it would be the people I meet and the memories I make that would make this year unforgettable. If you had predicted that I’d be spending my October break in Kentucky betting, hopelessly may I add, at the races, I probably wouldn’t have believed you. But with the sun shining gloriously, I attended my first ever horse race at Keeneland. It almost seems a little ironic, after living so close to Ascot, Windsor for over 13 years that I had to go across the globe to enjoy the thoroughbred racing industry. Pretty Fall dresses, strawberry margaritas, and $2 bets; my day at the races was certainly one to remember. Although I’m not quite sure I understand all the terminology; who beat who, who had the mount, and how to make well educated guesses, I had enormous amounts of fun putting my money on the horses with the most outrageous names. My favourites included ‘Lovesmelovesmenot’ and ‘Kitchen Police’. But don’t worry Mum, I didn’t spend all my pocket money and I’m not addicted to gambling just yet, I think I’ll need to win a little more than six bucks to get hooked!

The rest of my break was filled with cheesecake, calves, mountain hikes and roasted marshmallows over a bonfire on a starry night. Kentucky, it was a pleasure; 2 States down, 48 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment